Saturday, July 18, 2009

Current events!

WOW, the weekend already and I feel like I have had the shortest week in the world. Today, I woke up extra early, and worked the farmers market doing pour overs for the nice peoples of Bay View. Unfortunately though, even though we had people gladly waiting for more than 10 minutes for a cup, we were told that we could not do the pour overs any more. This is because other "nameless" vendors complained that we were stealing business or something like that, so basically we are not going to be doing the whole pour over thing anymore. The good news is that I have two on order from Michigan to get in Anodyne... I am very pumped about this let me tell you!

In other news, a group of us got together last Wednesday(I think)and had some coffee fun and experimentation. We had on hand for coffees a Costa-Rican Palmares Centro pulped-natural coffee, a El Salvador San Emilio 100% Bourbon pulped-natural, a Organic Mexican Alta de Pacifico, and some Schweik from Metropolis. We were also brewing them via multiple dosages and styles on the Chemex brewers and on the siphon brewer. If we had more time we were planning on utilizing the french press and moka-pot since James or Brett said that they had never had a good moka-pot, and well I feel very confident that I could do justice on a brewing system like that. The results and methods were very striking with changes ranging in the dosing sizes of the coffee, the method of adding and subtracting coffees and even pouring technique. I should definatly say that it was all for fun and we ended up all having a lot of coffee and I am sure we all left feeling great!



But back to my very busy day today, after the farmers market, I took a little break and had some lunch at home, but promptly met up with Steve to go do a semi-planned espresso crawl in Madison Wisconsin where I had heard that there is a pretty good coffee scene. To my slight disappointment, the coffee shops there were pretty mediocre. With the exception of Bradburys' which was amazing, and Indie's Coffee house where the Barista did a great job, I just really was not a fan of the espresso blend. I think that almost all of the coffee shops were not bad or even close to some horrible coffee shops I have been into, but that they have a lot of great potential as far as making a great shot of espresso given the right blends and training. All in all, I would say that Madison was a cool town and there is a pretty open landscape for quality coffees to come into play there.

bradburys

To really finish off my night I hung out with the Boywonder from Roast on the 'East Side', and our great friend Chase, as well as the Girl and Luke. We drank some brews and ate at Honeypie's on Kinnickinnic and left feeling absolutely amazing... I can tell you right now that I am perhaps the most tired I have been in a long time. I sincerely hope that no one calls me before noon tomorrow so I can get my sleep on. I know this probably wont happen though because I can never sleep past 9 anyway but hey heres for hoping!

honeypies

Oh, and heres a pic (she will most likely hate) just for the heck of it of me and the girl...Good night Coffee Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment